Saturday, October 26, 2013

Praline French Toast Casserole

I'm sure you're starting to notice a trend with breakfast!  Breakfast really is one of my favorite things.  Growing up, my whole family liked pancakes more than I did...I always loved French toast.  With my love of French toast, I was excited to try Paula's Praline French Toast Casserole.  The idea of piles of French toast, topped with sugary pecan topping made my mouth water just thinking about it.  One bite into this casserole, and you will be in French toast heaven!  I will say, Paula makes her own raspberry syrup, but I think I liked it better with some good ole fashioned maple syrup..

Praline French Toast Casserole

French Toast                                                              Praline Topping
Butter for baking dish                                                2 sticks butter (room temperature)
1 load French bread 13-16 ounces                             1 cup packed light brown sugar
8 large eggs                                                                1 cup chopped pecans
2 cups half and half                                                    2 Tbls.  light corn syrup
1 cup whole milk                                                        1/2 tsp. cinnamon
2 Tbls. Sugar                                                              1/2 tsp. nutmeg
1/2 tsp. nutmeg
1/2 tsp cinnamon                                                        
pinch of salt

Raspberry Syrup
1 cup raspberry preserves
2 Tbls.  Raspberry liqueur or sub orange juice

Grease your 13x9 pan with butter and slice your bread into 1-inch slices and layer up in your dish.

Combine your eggs, half and half, milk, sugar, vanilla, cinnamon, nutmeg and salt and mix with a mixer until a custard like mixture.


Pour the custard over the bread and make sure they are covered evenly.  Cover and refrigerate overnight. 

When you are ready to bake,  preheat your over to 350 degrees.  Now we can make the praline topping. 

Combine all the ingredients with a fork and spread over the casserole.  Bake your casserole until golden brown about 45 minutes.
 
And now enjoy!!!
 

 
To make the syrup combine the two ingredients with 3 tablespoons of water and stir until a hot and syrupy consistency.

1 comment:

  1. This sounds SO good!!! Looks good, too! And, I agree with you on the syrup. Maple is the BEST! :-) Keep up the good work! I really am enjoying your blog! :-)

    Kah

    ReplyDelete