Tuesday, October 1, 2013

Fall off the Bone Ribs

One thing I love about southern cooking are most things are cooked with something pork. So how can you go wrong with some oven barbecued ribs?  These ribs are cooked low and slow to make sure you get the most tender and juicy ribs possible.  Up to this point, I have never tried to make any ribs, but Paula made this as easy as possible.  Where I grew up, I was used to ribs covered in a thick ketchup style barbeque sauce. Those are good, but I took Paula's suggestions and covered them in her Daddy's Tangy Grilling Sauce.  This sauce is simple with just Worcestershire sauce, butter and lemon juice. When I tasted it, I really was a little worried about how they would turn out but, the sauce really is the key to these wonderful ribs.  As the ribs cook, they soak up this tangy sauce and it makes the ribs so succulent and tender you will think they're finger licking good. 

What goes better with barbeque ribs than Paula's Best Braised Southern Greens?  Paula uses some good 'ole bacon grease, butter and onions to flavor this dish. We all know you can't go wrong with butter and bacon for flavor in the south!   Overall the greens turned out really good, but I do think they needed to be cooked way longer then what Paula suggests.   I don't know about the rest of you, but I love my collard greens cooked soft. I don't want any crunchy greens!  In the recipe, Paula says to only cook these about 20 minutes total. To me they could have cooked for longer, but that is how I like them.

BBQ Pork Ribs pg. 143

5 pounds bone in country style ribs
salt and pepper
1 teaspoon garlic powder
Daddy's tangy grilling sauce.

To make the sauce take 1 cup of Worcestershire sauce, 1/2 stick of butter and the juice of 2 lemons and combine in a sauce pan and simmer for 10 minutes.

For the Ribs:

Sprinkle with salt, pepper, and garlic powder then cover and refrigerate for 4 or more hours. 

Preheat your oven to 350 degrees.  Pour half of the sauce in your roasting pan, making sure to coat the ribs with the sauce.  Cover your pan with foil and bake 1-1 1/2 hours.  Then pour the rest of your sauce over your ribs and bake until tender around another 1 1/2 hours.  Once they are done make sure you let them rest for a few minutes before you serve them.







Best Braised Southern Greens

8 slices of bacon cut into pieces
1 medium onion
1 stick of butter
2 pounds collards
salt
hot sauce

In a large sauce pan fry the bacon pieces until crisp then add your onions and butter and cook until the onions are soft and tender.

Add about 2 cups of water,  I needed a little more than 2 cups, and bring to a boil then simmer for 10 minutes.  Add your collard greens and cook until tender.  Paula says 20 minutes, but I say you will need longer. 

 
 
 

1 comment:

  1. These ribs look SO good! I've never cooked ribs, but this has inspired me to give it a try! Love those collards, too. The only thing I would do different with the collards is to leave the hot sauce out. I don't particularly like hot sauce "in" my food. We always have the hot sauce on the side, so you can add as much or as little as you like. I like just a "touch" of hot sauce. My husband likes "a lot"! :-)

    I am REALLY enjoying your wonderful blog! Keep on cookin'! :-) And, much thanks for posting the recipes here. I don't have this cookbook...yet! It's on my Christmas Wish List! :-)

    Peace, Kah

    ReplyDelete