Wednesday, August 28, 2013

Breakfast for Dinner, and I was left out!

So while I was gone to see my parents my roommate Jill and my friends Stephen and Lauren decided to cook some Paula Deen.  They decided to cook breakfast for dinner which is one of my favorite things to do and I was a little disappointed I wasn't there to enjoy this wonderful meal with them.  But, I really enjoyed seeing my parents so I wouldn't have missed seeing them for anything.  I was fortunate to try the left overs and I definitely agree with how these dishes turned out.  I hope you enjoy them as much as I did.  But here is what they had to say about them.
 
We have gotten so used to the wonderful meals each week that even though Myron was out of town. We didn’t want to stop.  We picked breakfast for dinner.  How in the world can you go wrong?  I remember growing up and eating breakfast for dinner and even in college, Thursday nights were breakfast nights.  This meal would work Christmas morning as well. In fact, I’ve already called my mom to tell her we’ve got to include these dishes Christmas morning.
 
Our meal started with the Sunday Brunch Casserole!  Wow was this ever easy and delicious.  All of us love our spicy food so we started it off right with hot sausage in the casserole.  This is a great recipe that you can make ahead of time and let it sit over night before baking in the morning.  (You are actually supposed to do this, but we are not very good and reading ahead!)  The cook right away method works as well. 
 
This casserole is easy to fix.  Fry up some sausage, put that on top of your bread then layer up your potato slices and sprinkle the cheese over the top. 

Next mix up your eggs, milk, mustard power, salt and pepper and pour this over you layers you already completed. 
 
Now this is where you should put this in the fridge overnight but the roommate decided to bake anyways.  When ready to bake just bake until the eggs are firm. 
 


http://www.foxnews.com/on-air/fox-friends/transcript/sunday-morning-casserole
 
 
We paired it with the Cheesy Tomato Grits.  Let me just say this was one of the BEST grit recipes ever!  I grew up in the South and have loved grits since before I could walk.  I’ve eaten them every way imaginable, but this was over the top excellent!  The grits are mixed with scallions, cream cheese, cheddar cheese, butter…Is your mouth watering yet? We used spicy diced tomatoes to give them a kick, but they would work with regular tomatoes.  After they bake a bit in the oven you cover them with more cheese.  Now Paula calls for 2 cups of cheddar cheese on the top!  That is a lot and would be good with less cheese if that makes your heart happy.  We went for the whole 2 cups!  In our dinner mix we also had a person with an aversion to grits.  It’s hard to believe!  She even liked Paula’s grits!
 
Before

After


http://www.pauladeen.com/recipes/recipe_view/tomato_grits/

***Note*** Southern cooking bible calls for Cream cheese spread with garlic and herbs not a cheese roll 
 
For desert we went with the Florida Lemon Bars. Anytime we took a bite of one of these pieces of heaven there was an audible “yuuummmm” of satisfaction.  These are sinfully delicious.  We were somewhat surprised to see that the crust had 3 sticks of butter, then we remembered this was Paula’s recipe. The sweet and tart of the lemon squares was perfect. I didn’t want all of these in the house because no one needs to eat an entire tray of lemon bars and believe me you could with these.  I took some of them to work and they went quickly.  Luckily I did keep a few as we were told by Myron.  “There better be leftovers!” 
 
Just to add a side note here.  I don't know if anyone remembered my post about my friend who went a little crazy sprinkling sugar on my Peach Biscuit Cobbler, but obviously she went a little crazy sprinkling powdered sugar on the lemon bars to, so Jill, sorry, but you are banned from sprinkling things in the house, just kidding.
 
First thing, make your crust for the Lemon bars.  Using a food processor definitely helps here.  Add all the ingredients for the dough except butter and mix well.  then add in your butter, btw Paula lives up to here butter name with this recipe,  and processes slowly until your mixture looks is looks crumbly. 
 
 
Put the dough in your pan and press to cover the bottom of your pan.
 
 
Bake according to directions.
 
 
Next mix all filling ingredients in a large bowl
 
 
Pour the filling over the crust and bake.
 
 
 
 
 
 



 

8 comments:

  1. Thank you soooooo much for the recipes! BFD is my favorite meal especially when the weather starts cooling down and the daylight starts disappearing. I am doing this breakfast casserole using some moose sausage. Thank you again!
    Mary

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ok I have to ask, where can I get Moose Sausage?

      Delete
    2. My husband harvested a moose last hunting season, so I have moose burger, it is very lean. I add 50/50 ground pork, sage, thyme, rosemary, and other breakfast sausage seasonings. I have also done the same kind of thing with Italian sausage seasonings. I am just lucky to live in Alaska and am able to enjoy the bounties that God and Mother Nature grants us. :) Mary

      Delete
    3. I have never been to Alaska, but always wanted to go. I hear it's absoluately beautiful there. And I have to say I'm very interested in this moose sausage. I wish we had it here in Wilmington Nc.

      Delete
  2. I LOVE Breakfast For Dinner! These recipes, especially the tomato grits, sound wonderful! What fun y'all must have had! :-)

    Myron, your blog is awesome! Keep on cooking! :-)

    Peace, Kah

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hey Kah, I got to enjoy the left over fun. but from what I hear from my friends they definitely enjoyed making these dishes and especially eating them.

      Delete
  3. I raised four kids and I always treated them to breakfast for dinner at least twice a month-being D@mnYankees our menu was a tad different however, when I remarried I hitched my wagon to a Georgia Boy and Paula Deen's Southern Cooking Bible is my reference-go to cookbook when he has a 'hankering ' for something 'down home'. Makes it easy for this Northerner as I am already a very good cook....The Hubs swears I am channeling my inner southern belle when I do so....it's a great cook book.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I agree completely. This book makes southern cooking a breeze and I think it's one of Paula's best.

      Delete