Monday, August 26, 2013

Paula With My Family

My View

Yesterday was the first time in several months that my parents, my sister’s family, and I have all seen each other.  We decided to go to my sister’s new house and have a cookout.  A few months ago, my sister decided to move out into the country back in my home town of Boone, NC.  Growing up, my sister and I always complained about living in the mountains, so I was shocked to say the least.  My sister now lives on one of the curviest roads in the county.  Not to mention, it’s not even paved and my dad's car can't even make it up her drive way, lol!  Once we finally arrived, I understood why she chose the house.  The views were gorgeous and made me remember why the mountains are so awesome.  I love the coast and probably won't ever move back, but I will always love the Blue Ridge Mountains. 

Butter Burgers

I took the opportunity of having a cookout to try Paula's Butter Burgers.  Throughout my life, I have had a lot of different burgers and with a lot of things mixed in, but I can honestly say, I have never had someone mix butter into the meat before they grill them.  But, again, this is Paula Deen and we know she loves some butter!  This recipe was simple.  It only called for hamburger meat, butter, salt, and pepper.  Then, you simply grilled the burgers to perfection.  I know a lot of people prefer gas grills, but I prefer charcoal.  I love the flavor the charcoal adds, and to me, there’s nothing better.  I was surprised that the butter didn't really add a lot of additional flavor, but they were some of the juiciest burgers I have ever put in my mouth.  When you look at the picture, you may realize there is something missing.  This burger has no lettuce!  When we were getting a list together to go shopping, my Mom told me she already had lettuce so I didn't buy any.  When I got home and had everything ready to go to my sister’s, I realized the only lettuce my mom had was the bagged lettuce that was pre-shredded and had carrots.  I love my Mom, but she can be forgetful at times…but I can’t say much…now that I'm getting older, I'm getting just like her!  I was able to find Paula's recipe for Butter Bacon burgers online.  The only real difference between the recipe in the Southern Cooking Bible and the recipe online is that my recipe did not use as much butter and she didn't include bacon.


http://www.pauladeen.com/recipes/recipe_view/butter_bacon_burgers/

In my opinion, one thing you can't leave out of a cookout if potato salad.  I have tried making my own potato salad before but I can never seem to get my ratios right between potatoes, mayo and vinegar.  So I was really excited about trying this recipe.  I do have to put a foot note in here.  I was not able to try the recipe as it was because of my Dad.  I love him, but he is one of the most pickiest eaters I have ever met and he is very particular about his potato salad.  So with that being said I could not put the celery or scallions in this recipe. I will say that even without the 2 ingredients, this potato salad was a winner.  My whole family loved this potato salad.  It was a perfect combination of the mayo and the vinegar.  I was really glad to see Paula uses apple cider vinegar.  I'm not a big fan of just the white distilled vinegar in potato salad.  The apple cider adds so much more flavor.  I would recommend this potato salad for any cookout, picnic or family reunion.  I guarantee everyone will be talking about it. 

Paula's Classic Potato Salad
 

http://books.google.com/books?id=jUw66qJg-PYC&pg=PA55&lpg=PA55&dq=paula's+classic+potato+salad&source=bl&ots=yOAFTwXeNc&sig=7VcRJUDAQlxSguRUS7B1V05Ldvk&hl=en&sa=X&ei=OQkcUpSuCZKE9QTVkYGoDg&sqi=2&ved=0CIwBEOgBMAk#v=onepage&q=paula's%20classic%20potato%20salad&f=false


You may remember a couple of weeks ago I tried the Family Reunion Deviled Eggs.  I was telling my Mom about them and she insisted I make them for the cookout!   So I re-made them, and as expected, they were a big success.  I will have to say that the small amount of hot sauce Paula adds to these eggs are not enough, so if you like things with a kick, make sure you add a little more hot sauce than the recipe calls for! 


Family Reunion Deviled Eggs


http://www.instyle.com/instyle/package/general/photos/0,,20538174_20538007_21068909,00.html


17 comments:

  1. I am really enjoying your blog. Keep the posts coming. Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great blog, but try to avoid Food Network links, since they dropped Pauls. Most of her recipes are on her site.

    http://www.pauladeen.com/recipes/recipe_view/butter_bacon_burgers/

    http://www.pauladeen.com/recipes/recipe_view/traditional_southern_deviled_eggs/

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hey Joyce, Thanks for the heads up, I didn't realize food.com was affiliated with food network. I will definitely avoid them in the future. :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love the blog Myron..... great job!!!! Wish I could have seen you while you were here in the Mountains..... yes we are blessed to call the Blue Ridge our home!!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hey Nancy, I wish i could have seen you too. I wasn't home long. But maybe I can come home again soon and we can have a huge Paula Deen meal. :)

      Delete
  5. I love this idea. I am a big paula deen fan. I think it was last christmas our dinner was paula the ed. keep up the great work

    ReplyDelete
  6. I enjoyed your blog also. I use a lot of Paula's recipes too. My favorite so far is her macaroni salad. It was the bomb. Keep on going. Love it!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Have you tried her Beef Stroganoff? I have made this twice. Usually in the winter.. It is so good.. Didn't have to change a thing in that recipe.. When the weather starts changing and getting cold. Make this one night and see if you have any leftovers. It is so good..

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I haven't tried the Beed Stroganoff yet, but I definitly will get around to it. thanks for the tip

      Delete
  8. Your Blog is great! Makes me miss Good Ol' Southern Cooking. (which is hard to find or make here in Korea!) Keep up the great work! P.S. Her Pound Cake Recipe is Amazing! (If I only had an oven)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hey, didn't expect followers from Korea. Thanks for finding me. I wish I could make you the pound cake and send you some. Have a great day:)

      Delete
  9. I just order the cook book, can't wait to start cooking!!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. thanks for supporting her. I guarantee you will enjoy this cookbook. I think this may be her best cookbook yet.

      Delete
  10. I truly miss Paula! Her bubbly spirit just made me want to at lest try some of her recipes...... I do hope someday she will be back on TV once again!! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I miss her too. I always enjoyed watching her, but hopefully we are working towards getting her back on the air.

      Delete
  11. I found your blog on Facebook and really enjoyed your comments. I also love Paula and miss her on TV. Hopefully the Food Network comes to their senses, but if I was Paula I am not sure I would be so ready again. I use her recipes all the time. I did look forward to the Food Network magazine and always looked for anything from Paula first. I have not bought even one since they turned their backs on her. I have bookmarked your site Thanks!

    ReplyDelete