Friday, August 23, 2013

Linguine with Cajun Shrimp, Chive and Cheddar Biscuits and Cream Cheese and Chocolate Chip Bread Pudding

Linguine with Cajun Shrimp

Linguine with Cajun Shrimp
I originally grew up in the mountains of Tennessee and North Carolina.  During that time, I grew up on traditional southern meals, but we really didn't eat a lot of seafood.  One, we were in the
mountains and it’s not exactly the best place to get fresh seafood.  Also, my dad wasn’t really a big fan of seafood, and in my household, my dad was definitely the king of his castle!  It wasn't
until I was in college that I really got exposed to any kind of seafood.  One of the first seafood I discovered was shrimp, and I immediately fell in love with these little things.  I was very excited
to try Paula's Linguine with Cajun Shrimp.

Now, just so y'all know, I also love spicy food.  To me, things usually cannot be too spicy, so the mixture of shrimp and spicy Cajun seasoning is right up my alley.  This recipe is so simple and easy to make.  Shrimp are naturally easy to cook, and Paula sautés these shrimp coated with Cajun seasoning in some butter.  How can you go wrong, right?   The only thing I wish I had done differently was to let the seasoning sit on the shrimp for a bit before I put them in the pan.  I think this would have allowed the shrimp to absorb more of the seasoning.  But regardless, the sauce was just as simple to make.  Take the shrimp out of the pan, add a little more butter (of course!), chicken broth, and some hot sauce and bring that to a simmer.  Toss the shrimp and sauce together and combine with the cooked linguine.

Now, to be perfectly honest, I didn't know how much I would actually enjoy this dish because
I typically like red sauces rather than butter or cream sauces on my pasta.  But Paula won me
over yet again!  This sauce hits the spot with the butter and chicken broth, and the addition of hot
sauce and Cajun seasoning worked perfectly with the shrimp.  It was almost like shrimp scampi
over pasta.  WOW!!!  Awesome dish!

Ingredients
Olive oil                                    Chicken Broth   
butter                                         Hot sauce
large shrimp                              Garlic
Cajun seasoning               
linguine

Chive and Cheddar Biscuits
 

Chive and Cheddar Biscuits
It may sound corny, but the main dish reminded me of shrimp scampi, which then reminded
me of Red Lobster, and I love their biscuits, so I decided to make Paula's Chive and Cheddar
Biscuits.  In my opinion, these biscuits are definitely better than the ones you get at Red Lobster, but I may be a little partial because I love me some Paula Deen cooking!  These biscuits are so simple:  mix the dry ingredients, cut in the butter, add some cheese and chives, and use an ice cream scoop to drop them onto a baking sheet.  The only thing I would add to this recipe is maybe a little more cheese than she originally called for.  I love cheese, and I don't think you can ever have too much cheese!

Ingredients
All purpose flour
sugar
baking powder
baking soda
salt
butter
Sharp Cheddar Cheese
Chives
buttermilk

http://www.pauladeen.com/recipes/recipe_view/chive_and_cheddar_biscuits/

Cream Cheese-Chocolate Chip Bread Pudding

Up until a few years ago, I had never had bread pudding.  Honestly, to me, the thought of bread
pudding was disgusting.  I pictured pureed bread with random sweet stuff in it.  Just didn't seem
that appealing.   But, when I finally got up the nerve to try it, I was surprised to find out how
good it was and realized what I had been missing!  Paula's Cream Cheese-Chocolate Chip Bread Pudding was no disappointment.  How can anyone go wrong with cream cheese and chocolate chips?  One thing I love about making bread pudding is you pretty much just have to throw everything together and pop it in the oven.  Quick and easy…that's the way to go!  After I made this, I took some of it to work mainly to get rid of it because, it's so good I could have eaten the whole pan myself!  It was an immediate hit!  All my friends at work said they almost couldn't eat what I brought them because it was so rich and delicious.  Some of my co workers were a little upset they didn't get any, but maybe they can have what ever else I try next, lol. This dessert would definitely be a great hit at any church or family functions or even a quick dessert for your family.  Everyone
will love this one!

Ingredients
Cream cheese                                  Half and half
Sugar                                               Milk
Vanilla Extract                                Day old egg bread *** such as Challah or Brioche***
Salt                                                  Semi sweet chocolate chips
Eggs                                                Light brown sugar

2 comments:

  1. Okay...I have GOT to find this cookbook and BUY it! I have a couple of her cookbooks, but not THIS one. :-) The recipes you make look amazing and delicious! Can't for to read about your next recipe adventure! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. How have I never heard of this recipe by Paula? Looks amazing. Thanks!

    ReplyDelete