Wednesday, September 11, 2013

Birthday Dinner Appetizers

Because Jill, my best friend and roommate, was going to be gone the day of my birthday, her and my friend Stephen decided to cook me a pre-birthday dinner on Saturday.  I can say I probably have the best friends in the world and I should say that considering the amount of work they put into making me this meal.  I had to work Saturday morning and when I got up around 8am, Jill had already started making part of the meal and I think she had been up for a while.  When I got home she was working on one of the appetizers which was Paula Deen's Baked Brie with Fig Jam.  One thing I love is cheese and brie is always at the top of the list.  Baked brie is wonderful just by itself, but wrapping it up in a buttery pastry shell and the addition of the walnuts and fig jam made this a sure fire hit with all my guests.  I think I could have eaten it all by myself, and I think I might have!  Anyways, we wanted to make Paula's homemade fig jam but I couldn't get my hands on enough figs so we had to get store bought, but I still plan on doing the jam at some point.  Even with store bought jam, this is a winner recipe (big surprise)!  If you need a simple, elegant, and just all around great appetizer for your party this is the one I would choose.

Baked Brie with Fig Jam

Roll out your puff pastry, making sure its big enough to cover the baked brie.  Place your cheese in the middle, top with the roasted nuts and fig jam

Close up the pastry and seal the ends.  Put the brie on a baking dish and bake around 375 for about 35 minutes or until golden brown.

 
 

 
 
My friends Amanda and Kate also surprised us with two other Paula Deen appetizers.  They decided they wanted in on the Paula Deen cooking so they made Paula's Bacon and Spinach Stuffed Mushrooms and the Bubblin' Brown Artichoke and Cream Cheese Dip. 
 
Bacon and Spinach Stuffed Mushrooms
 
The mushrooms were perfection. The mushrooms were juicy and packed full of cream cheese and you couldn't even tell there was spinach in them.  Then, Paula topped these off with bacon.  How could anyone not like these?  My friends did tell me they used turkey bacon instead, but you couldn't tell the difference and they were still great!
 
Make sure you squeeze as much liquid of your spinach to start with.  After that mix the spinach, cream cheese, bacon, scallions, salt and pepper and fill the mushroom caps.  Sprinkle the parmesan cheese on top and bake for about 15 minutes or until browned.
 
 
 
Bubblin' Brown Artichoke and Cream Cheese Dip
 
To be honest, I am not a fan of artichokes.  Something about their texture I just can't seem to get past.  In this dish, I couldn't even tell they were in there.  Like I said before I love cheese and any kind of cheese.  This dish is filled with cream cheese and parmesan cheese and just lots of flavor.  The cream cheese and the mayonnaise in this dish really makes this dip creamy and delicious.  Even with the artichokes, this dish is still smooth and like I said, I could barely tell the artichokes were in there.  Paula also adds some hot sauce to this dish, but I like my stuff spicy and if you do to, you can always add more than what the recipe calls for.
 
Beat your cream cheese until smooth.  Add your mayo and mix well.  Add remaining ingredients and mix well.  Place in a greased baking dish and top with remaining parmesan cheese and bake until cheese has browned.  Bake around 350 degrees. 
 

http://books.google.com/books?id=jUw66qJg-PYC&pg=PA13&dq=Bubblin'+brown+artichoke+and+cream+cheese+dip&hl=en&sa=X&ei=EYEwUp71OYW68ASAqIGwBg&ved=0CEsQ6AEwAA#v=onepage&q=Bubblin'%20brown%20artichoke%20and%20cream%20cheese%20dip&f=false


No comments:

Post a Comment