Friday, September 20, 2013

Epic Fail On Strawberry Jam

As long as I can remember, people in my family have made jams and jellies.  Up until a few days ago, I have never tried but always depended on my mom to make her wonderful strawberry jam.  I never really appreciated how much work actually went into this process and how many things really could go wrong!  
 
My mom has had years of experience making jams, I don't think I ever remember her ever having any problems or anything going wrong.  Well, I can't say that.  My first attempt of making jam didn't go so well.  Before I started this process, I read Paula's instructions (at least 100 times) just to make sure I really understood the process.  She said to sterilize the jars, lids, and screw tops in boiling water, so I did and made sure they were completely dry.  I then made the jam, per the instructions, and let them get to 220 degrees and then filled the hot jars with the jam.  I then placed them in a water and brought them to a boil and then took them out.  
 
Luckily, I was able to get them to seal, but after about 48 hours I realized the only thing I made was strawberry syrup!  I will have to say this would go great on waffles or ice cream but it doesn't make great jam for a warm buttery biscuit.  I think I know where I went wrong, in the process of bringing them jam to a boil, I did not bring it to a hard boil which caused my jam not to set.  So, this weekend, there will be another attempt on Paula's Strawberry Jam.  This time I hope all goes well!  If anyone has any suggestions on jam making I would love to hear them. 


Strawberry Jam pg. 424

First make sure your jars, lids, and screw tops are clean, and then boil them in water for about 10 minutes.  Let them completely dry.



 
 
Combine the 3 lbs of strawberries with about 3 cups of sugar and let stand, stirring occasionally until the sugar is almost dissolved, about an hour.  Then mash with a potato masher.
 
 
Add the zest of one whole lemon and about 1/3 cup of lemon juice and bring to a boil and stir until the sugar is completely dissolved.  Reduce to a simmer and bring to 220 degrees, stirring occasionally.  Skim off the foam.
 
 

Fill the jars with the jam and leave about 1/2 inch of room at the top.  Place on screw tops and the lids and place in a pot of water on a rack of a folded up towel and bring to a boil, covered and boil for 10 minutes.  Place on kitchen towel for 24 hours, once sealed you should hear a pop. If they are sealed your lid should be concave.

 


No comments:

Post a Comment