Friday, September 6, 2013

Let Them Eat Cake!

One of my favorite cakes a child was chocolate cake with chocolate frosting.  To me, you could not get any better than this.  I don't know about the rest of you, but normally my favorite part of the cake is the frosting.  This time, the cake was just as good as the frosting!  Even though I love chocolate cake, I have found it's hard to find a really good recipe.  Many that I have tried have come out very dry and overall just weren’t that great.  This is never a good thing.  Paula's chocolate cake did not disappoint.  This cake was extremely moist and perfectly sweetened.  I think it may have been one of the best chocolate cakes I have ever tried.  The friends I cooked for that evening loved it as well, but many wanted some vanilla ice cream to help cut the sweetness of the frosting! (I will warn you, the icing on this cake is filled with sugar, even though it tastes great, it is extremely rich and you may need a glass of milk or something to go with it.)
So, as a nice treat, I decided to take what was left of this cake to work and let my co-workers try it.  Their reaction was even better than my friends!  My friend Jackie actually got 3 pieces, and no, not to eat all at once, but she took some home.  I informed them that this cake is the best served warm, but no one took my advice at first.  They said the cake was good as it was, but Jackie decided to take my advice after having a few bites and she finally realized this cake is even better warm!  The warmth helps make the frosting become gooey and just plain good!  If you love chocolate cake you definitely need to try this recipe!  In the words of Marie Antoinette "Let them eat Cake!"
First whisk all dry ingredients together expect the cocoa powder.

Dry ingredients

 Next mix eggs, butter milk and vanilla
Egg mixture
Mix together the cocoa and water and dissolve completely, then stir in your butter.  Once done then mix in your egg mixture and fold in your dry ingredients.

Cake batter
Pour into your prepared 13 x 9 and bake at 350 degrees for around 30 minutes or until done.




Before


After
 
 
 
Fudge Frosting
 
Mix together granulated sugar and cocoa powder then whisk in the milk, butter and corn syrup and bring this mixture to a boil. 
 
I did something a little different here than Paula's instructions.  I then poured the mixture over my powdered sugar and stirred until dissolved then added my vanilla. Icing the cake immediately, while its still warm.
 
 
Note I may have gotten a little to much powdered sugar so my icing is extremely thick.  But it was still awesome!
 
 


 



1 comment:

  1. I add chopped walnuts to the fudge icing and pour from the pan onto the brownies right out of the oven. So deliciously rich!

    ReplyDelete