Tuesday, September 3, 2013

Perfect Summer Sides! Sauteed Yellow Squash and Easy Cole Slaw

I love Summer. It's a great time of year to be outside at the beach or just sitting back and relaxing on porch with a glass of ice cold lemonade or sweet iced tea.  But the thing I love the most, are fresh vegetables.  When I was growing my up, my parents had a huge garden.  I remember the days when I could walk out to the garden and pick a vine ripe tomato or fresh cucumber right off the vine and have a perfect summer snack.   One of my favorite vegetables is yellow squash.  I can eat yellow squash any way you wanna cook it.  My favorite is fried but the Sautéed Summer Squash by Paula Deen is definitely a close second.  The blend of butter, onions, squash, and some fresh thyme make this dish refreshing and a little sweet.  I agree with Paula, I like my squash picked on the smaller side so they have a little bit of a sweet flavor and right now is the perfect time to find it.  Besides the crab cakes, this side a close second to a crowd favorite.  Its quick and easy with loads of flavor! 

To make the Squash, cut up about  2-3 yellow squash and rough chop some onions.
 
You want to melt your butter in a pan and add the onions and a little salt until the onions are soft.  Throw in squash, thyme, salt and pepper and cook until the tender.   (Note fresh thyme works the best, but dried thyme works ok too)

Sautéed Summer Squash

 
 
2 Tablespoons butter                         2 small yellow squash or zucchini, cut
1/2 medium yellow onion                 2 teaspoons chopped fresh thyme
1/2 teaspoon salt                               1/4 teaspoon black pepper
 
 
 
Easy Coleslaw
 
Coleslaw is one of my favorite sides.  But I am very picky on how its chopped and tastes.  Some think I'm a little prude, but I'm a momma's boy and I love the way my mom makes her coleslaw and that's just the way I like it!  I like it chopped fine, not stringy, and I want mayonnaise-base not mustard or Asian.  Sorry, if you don't agree with me, but it's one of the few foods I can honestly say I have to have it my way or I just won't eat it.  This coleslaw recipe reminds me of exactly how my momma makes it.  Basic ingredients but a lot of flavor.  This recipe only calls for cabbage, apple cider vinegar, sugar and salt and pepper. How much easier can you get?  Even with so few ingredients, this coleslaw is perfect!  There is no need to change anything.  When I have tried making coleslaw before I have never been able to get my proportions right between the dressing and the cabbage.  Paula's recipe makes it easy for you and this will come out perfect every time.  I think my friend Jill, who says she doesn't like anything "goopy" made with mayo, even liked this dish a little. 
 
Mix all ingredients except the cabbage together. Shred the cabbage (I chopped mine up pretty fine but if you want yours more shredded that works too).  Pour dressing mixture over the cabbage and stir until covered.  You may need to add more salt or pepper if you desire.  I personally like a little more pepper myself.
 
 
Easy Coleslaw

3/4 cup Mayo                                            8 Cups shredded cabbage
1/4 cup Apple cider Vinegar                     Salt
1 tablespoon sugar                                     Pepper



         

No comments:

Post a Comment