Tuesday, September 3, 2013

Crab Cakes That Put the Rest To Shame and Jalapeno Hush Puppies

Crab is one of my favorite things to eat, but honestly I have never really cooked with it much.  I tried making crab cakes about a year ago and they didn't turn out so well, so I was a little hesitant to try again.  The first time I ever made them, I could not get them to stay together when I was frying them.  Even though they tasted great, it wasn't exactly what I would call a "cake".  With this recipe, I decided to take a new approach.  I decided to patty the crab cakes the night before and let them sit in the refrigerator overnight.  This made all the difference.  This gave the bread crumbs time to soak in the crab and the other ingredients and allowed them to stay together nicely.  I would say you probably won't have to let them sit overnight but a couple hours should do the trick.  Now a funny story about this meal, I actually made this meal two weeks ago, but everything was so good I didn't get any pictures of the meal, so I figured I needed to make it again!

These crab cakes, first of all, are extremely easy to make and fry.  But the best part about them, is the taste!  It really puts others to shame!  I could not think of anything I would want to do differently with these.  I don't know about you, but I really hate when I get crab cakes that are mostly breading and very little crab, Paula doesn't disappoint here either.  These crab cakes are busting with crab meat.  Paula seasoned these crake bakes to perfection. With the mixture of Old Bay, Worcestershire sauce, scallions, mustard powder, and a little hot sauce these crab cakes are the best around.  My friend Stephen actually said "I think these are better than any I have ever had at any restaurant."  I think these crab cakes would also be good baked. Especially if you were wanting to make them a little healthier.  If you love crab cakes then you will definitely love this recipe,  I recommend everyone try this today, you won't regret it!

First mix all ingredients until well combined.  I personally use my hands for this, its much easier, but you can use a spoon if you want.



Form into 8 equal crab cakes with your hands


Fry in enough oil to cover half of the crab cake.  You will fry around 3 minutes on each side or until browned.  Then flip and fry another 3 minutes until done.  Be careful when flipping, you can easily splatter oil making these. 


Serve hot with sauce of your choosing and maybe some lemon.



Savannah Crab Cakes

A pound of crab meat, make sure                           1 Tbl. Old Bay
you check for shells                                                1 Tsp. Mustard Powder
1/2 cup bread crumbs                                             1/2 Tsp. Worcestershire Sauce
1/3 cup mayo                                                          1/4 Tsp. hot sauce
1/4 cup scallions                                                     Oil for frying
1 egg beaten                                                            Lemon (optional for serving)

If you have the book the recipe is on page 197. 


Jalapeno Hush Puppies

You can't have seafood without some good hush puppies, it's just unheard of.  So I decided to try Paula's Jalapeno Hush Puppies.  I will have to say, these may be the best hush puppies I have ever tasted.  These hush puppies are almost like corn bread, but with a kick.  The hush puppies are a perfect blend of sweet and spicy.  I don't know how Paula does it but every thing she touches turns to gold.  I think the key to these hush puppies is using the fresh jalapenos.  If you like hush puppies definitely give these a try.

Mix all the dry ingredients together, except the jalapenos.  In another bowl mix together the egg, buttermilk and the jalapenos then add those to the dry ingredients and mix well.




Using a small scoop, put in 350 degree oil and fry until golden brown.


I was unable to find the exact recipe online.  The jalapeno hush puppies on pauladeen.com is different than the one in the Southern Cooking Bible


oil for deep frying

1 cup of yellow cornmeal
1 cup all purpose flour
1 Tbl Spoon sugar
2 Tsp salt
1 Tsp baking powder
1 Tsp baking soda
1 cup buttermilk
1 large egg
1/4 cup Jalapeno pepper





1 comment:

  1. Yum! Keep up the cooking! Crab cakes are delicious!

    ReplyDelete